Blueberry season is here. Who doesn't love those sweet berries? It's time for our annual family tradition of heading out to the farm for some berry picking. A caravan of cars and kids equals loads of fun.
We've done this enough times to realize that you need to get an early start. It can get really hot out in the open fields later in the day. I think I'll check out the shady spot.
Blueberry Farm. Think that's an appropriate name? You can tell by the sign that they have been here for a long time.
All organic, grown without pesticides and delicious.
It's a family affair. These little guys sure know how to pick the sweetest and best. Know you that you get to sample as you pick.
It's a beautiful morning with three gorgeous horses grazing next door.
This one's name is Snowflake and she loves blueberries too.
The fields are filled with ripe berries. Every other row is planted with a different type of berry. That makes for a delicious variety in our buckets.
You guessed it. Back at home it's time to make the cobbler for dinner. I found this recipe on line at allrecipes.com and it was delicious.
This recipe works great with other cobbler fruits. A delicious light dessert that's not too sweet.
Serves best with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In an 8 inch square baking dish, mix blueberries, 3 tablespoons sugar and orange juice. Set aside. In a small bowl, thoroughly mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are combined. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons over blueberry mixture. Try to cover as much filling as possible.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
Thanks for joining me. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Remember to have fun living and loving life.
Disclosure: All opinions expressed here are my own.